Like most of you when I saw this recipe I was like eewwww brussels sprouts, gross, but I must say this recipe is really tasty.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Brussels sprouts (in my hood they sell them in little bowls that I call bunches)
White Onions or Shallots
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Your favorite seasonings
1) Cut the roots (ends) of each sprout off
2) Throw away the top layer of leaves (they should fall off once you cut the root off of the sprouts)
3) Cut each sprout into halves
4) Chop up about a quarter of the white onion/shallot
5) Take about 4/5 strips of bacon and cut into chunks
1) On low/medium heat cook bacon in skillet until bacon grease coats the skillet (the saltiness of the bacon takes away from the bitterness of the brussels)
2) Once the bottom of the pan is coated with bacon grease add brussels sprouts
3) Stir the sprouts around in the pan so that the bacon grease is evenly distributed amongst the sprouts
4) Add white onions/shallots and stir into bacon/brussels
5) Add about a tablespoon of Olive Oil and stir thoroughly
6) Put lid on pan and let cook on low/medium heat for 15 minutes to tenderize the brussels, stirring occasionally
7) After about 15 minutes the sprouts should be tender enough to stick your fork through without being over cooked.
8) Take the lid off of the pan and let cook another 3-5 minutes until golden
9) Season to your liking with your favorite seasonings and enjoy!
No Worries…I got this!